Matthew’s Table Covenant
As those who have experienced the grace of a life changed by the gospel of Jesus Christ, we have the opportunity to reflect the character of Christ through the pursuit of certain attitudes and actions and the rejection of others. The Scriptures refer to this reality as “living by the Spirit” (Romans 8). Our covenant are in no way intended to serve as an addition to the biblical obligations of a believer. Rather, this document functions primarily as an accessible yet non-exhaustive explanation of what the Scriptures teach about the obedience that faith produces.
At Matthew’s Table, we:
- Submit to the authority of the Scriptures as the final say on all issues.
- Psalm 119
- 2 Timothy 3:14-17
- 2 Peter 1:19-21
- Pursue the Lord Jesus Christ through regular Bible reading, prayer, fellowship, and practice of spiritual disciplines.
- Luke 18:1
- Acts 17:11
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
- Ephesians 5:1-21
- 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22
- Follow the command and example of Jesus by participating in the ordinances prescribed to His Church.
- Entering into baptism following conversion.
- Regularly remembering and celebrating the person and work of Christ through Holy Communion.
- Regularly participate in weekly services, engaging in gospel-centered community and serving those within and outside the church.
- Acts 2:42-47
- Hebrews 10:23-25
- Titus 3:14
- Steward our resources God has given us, including time, talents, spiritual gifts, and finances. This includes serving and participating in community that is sacrificial, cheerful, and voluntary.
- Matthew 25:14-30
- Romans 12:1-2
- 2 Corinthians 8-9
- 1 Peter 4:10-11
- Aim to walk in Holiness in all areas of life as an act of worship to Jesus Christ
- 1 Peter 1:13-16, 4:1-3
- Take seriously the responsibility of Christian freedom, especially actions or situations that could present a stumbling block to another person.
- 1 Corinthians 8:1-13